It is one of the integral branch of pharmaceutical science. The field encompasses drug composition and properties, interactions, toxicology, therapy, and medical applications and antipathogenic capabilities. It is a preclinical science
department that form part of universityâ€™s medical sciences division and focused on basic life sciences research, undergraduate teaching for medicine and biomedical sciences students and the training and development of graduate students.
The programme has tremendous scope and students who emerge successfully have various career options. They can enter the teaching profession, they can find employment in pharmaceutical companies in R&D, clinical research
organizations, medical writing as well as, in research.In addition the department is imparting teaching through problem and computer based learning in pharmacology.
The vision of the department is to become a top ranked research-intensive academic center in the disciplines of pharmacology and toxicology. The vision is not only to prepare the under and post graduate students for their future success
in life but also help them to develop a rigorous scientific attitude so that they can serve the pharmacy and other health related profession in the best possible way.
- To provide the highest quality of interaction for the professional and graduate students of the college in the areas of pharmacology and toxicology.
- To provide students with the most up to date information in these rapidly changing fields.
- To acquire new knowledge in pharmacology and toxicology by conducting and promoting innovative research.
- To discover new lead compounds and to understand the mechanism of action of compounds.
- Encourage fund raising activities
- To promote serving the community by providing help to patient centered care.
To train the students in the skills that are necessary for establishing drug action, mechanism of drug action, potential pharmacological effects, toxicological effects,
molecular interactions, animal health care and maintenance.
- Our pharmacology department is equipped with all the required instruments to carry out research activities by the graduates and post graduates.
- To encourage students towards research in the health care field.
- Ensure unity and productivity among faculty and staff of the two merged departments.
- Promote academic excellence through quality teaching and knowledge dissemination..
- To establish a pharmacology and toxicology animal house.
- To organize departmental seminar, publication review. .
A well designed and well-furnished work stations to perform a wide range of experimental activities.It also has sufficient teaching area for demonstrating experiments
- Student kymograph
- Eddyâ€™s hot plate
- Rot rod apparatus
- Pole climbing apparatus
- Compound microscope
- Students would have understood the pharmacological actions of different categories of drugs.
- They would have understood the application of basic pharmacological knowledge in the prevention and treatment of various diseases.
- They were able to come across the methods of toxicity studies.
- The students will be aware of various independent sources of medicine information and use them in the process prescribing and providing treatment.
- The students will be able to use antibiotics rationally.
- The student will be able to communicate drug and non-drug information about common disease with a simulated patient.
- The students will be able to report adverse drug reaction to the pharmacovigilance center in the appropriate format.
- Trained pharmacologist can look forward to rewarding careers in academia, pharmaceutical industries (Preclinical, clinical and R & D scientist) and contract research organization (CRA), medical writing, medical coding and pharmacovigilance and dug regulatory agencies, hospital, clinical and community pharmacist in India and foreign countries.
Current research status and perspectives
The focused research areas of department are clinical pharmacology,immuno pharmacology, pharmacovigilance, environmental pharmacology, indigenous drug research,neuropharmacology,psycho pharmacology and chemotherapy by utilising Ex- Pharm series for conducting pharmacological studies(pharmacokinetics & pharmacodynamics) an alternative to animal experimentation